Thursday, May 14, 2009

Help me! Poison Ivy.

I'm a little dense. The medical field is always using terms which go way over my head and with the rapid pace that things are changing, who can keep up?

For example, I was using Google Trends to check out a theory I had. I thought that the lines for Zanfel and Poison Ivy would show where summer was. I was, of course, right. This was when I noticed the article in the latter entry that caught my attention: Dermatologist Debunks Poison Ivy Myths. Dermatologist? That's the skin guys, right?

Here's a bit I found intriguing, which is why I need help:
"[Dr. Jeffery] Dover said that soap and water is best. Wash your body and your clothes immediately."

Which is what reminded me of something I once read:

What not to do

Of course, I'm not dense. The above book was published by the American Medical Association in 1987. I get it - things change and the American Academy of Dermatology happens to agree with Dr. Dover. The idea is that when you hear the folk wisdom that everyone is too willing to offer, be sure to check on it yourself from reliable sources.

In a related note, Zanfel and it's generic equivalents actually do work if you shell out the $25-40 it costs and follow the odd instructions on the package. I've used it the past few times I've gotten a case of Poison Ivy and it clears up the rash in a few hours.

No comments: